Respect is the premiere episode of the first season in this television sitcom of Murphy Brown, which aired for the first time from CBS on November 14, 1988. It was directed by Barret Kellman and written by Diane English.
Murphy returns to FYI after rehab at the Betty Ford clinic, and isn't sure she still has her edge. In her first week back she deals with Miles, a new young executive producer; Corky, a new beauty-queen anchor; Eldin, a hard-to-reach housepainter; and a publicity-seeking interview subject who wants to avoid the one question on everyone's mind.
- Candice Bergen as Murphy Brown
- Faith Ford as Corky Sherwood
- Grant Shaud as Miles Silverberg
- Joe Regalbuto as Frank Fontana
- Charles Kimbrough as Jim Dial
- Robert Pastorelli as Eldin Bernecky
- Pat Corley as Phil
- John Achorn as Stage Manager
- Mary Cadorette as Sherry French, Secretary #1
- Kathleen Freeman as Mrs. Caldwell
- Tony Goldwyn as Bobby Powell
- Charley Lang as Robert, Secretary #2
- Mark Lonow as Jerry Weiss
- The title is based on the R&B song "Respect" written By (and sung by) Otis Redding, but became a big hit in 1967 for Aretha Franklin.